Friday, July 31, 2026

The Power of Two

 Stardate 07.31.2026

Sometimes the best days aren't marked by one extraordinary event. They're built from a series of ordinary moments that all go right—a safe arrival, meaningful work, good food, a walk hand in hand, and gratitude for being exactly where God has placed you.

Yesterday was one of those days.

As I reflected on everything that happened, one simple idea kept returning to my mind.

The power of two.

Scripture has always fascinated me on this point. When Jesus sent His followers out, He sent them two by two. There was wisdom in that approach. Encouragement travels well when someone is walking beside you.

Yesterday didn't begin that way.

An unexpected rush meant our team needed to spread out to help as many people as possible. Working alone was simply what the moment required.

Later in the afternoon, the opportunity changed.

I was paired with a supervisor who wanted to learn a process I know well. I asked if she wanted to take the lead while I supported her.

She smiled and admitted she'd rather watch first.

A few minutes later, a recently retired couple came over. As we talked, I learned the husband had served as a pastor for forty years. They arrived with a clear idea of what they wanted, but as our conversation unfolded, another possibility came into view.

The pastor listened carefully while doing what many loving husbands naturally do. He was looking out for his wife.

His wife leaned in.

She asked thoughtful questions.

Her excitement grew as she understood the options available to them.

With a grin, the pastor looked at me and said he thought he was beginning to lose his protection status.

I laughed.

"I think you are," I replied. "She's getting excited."

By the end of our conversation, they chose a path they hadn't expected when they first walked over.

After they left, my teammate looked at me with genuine surprise.

She wasn't surprised by the outcome as much as she was by the conversation itself—how trust had been built one question, one answer, and one smile at a time.

I smiled and shared something I've believed for years.

"See one. Do one. Teach one."

She nodded.

The lesson had landed.

As I drove away later that evening, I thought about the day as a whole.

A safe arrival.

Meaningful work.

Dinner with Helen.

A quiet walk together.

One ordinary day filled with moments that pointed back to God's goodness.

None of those moments demanded attention on their own.

Together, they became a beautiful reminder that God often works through people who are willing to walk alongside one another.

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.
— Ecclesiastes 4:9–10

Join me here:

https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong

Thank you for spending a few moments of your day with me. I hope you find someone to encourage today—and someone who encourages you in return.

Captain's Addendum

Bones: "Michael, I still say teaching someone while helping a retired pastor change his mind sounds like an exhausting afternoon."

Spock: "On the contrary, Doctor. Trust is often grows through patient observation before confident action."

Bones: "Well, however you explain it, two people working together accomplished more than either would have alone."

I smiled at that thought.

Yesterday reminded me that sometimes we're the teacher. Sometimes we're the student. Every so often, God lets us be both on the very same day.

No comments: