Monday, July 27, 2026

Conversations Along the Way


Stardate 07.27.2026

Yesterday turned into a day of conversations.

I had the chance to spend a little time with Stacy and gave her a copy of my coloring book. Before long, she was following this blog. It's always encouraging to know someone has decided to join the journey.

Later I met Josh. During our conversation he mentioned a network of hiking trails leading to the shoreline of Lake Michigan. His recommendation was all I needed. I spent part of the afternoon exploring the trails and enjoying the peaceful beauty waiting at the water's edge.

By late afternoon I found myself on an indoor pickleball court with several local players. Even though we had never met, they welcomed me into their games like an old friend. Before leaving, I noticed a bulletin board featuring a local pickleball professional whose journey began on the tennis courts. I left her a voicemail introducing myself. Whether our paths cross or not remains to be seen, but I was grateful for another opportunity to reach out.

The day also reminded me of the wonderful news back home. Our committee recently received a $25,000 grant from Pickleball USA that carried our fundraising campaign across the finish line. Construction is now underway on four outdoor pickleball courts for our community. Seeing pickleball bring people together here made me appreciate that blessing even more.

I ended the evening on a restaurant patio, enjoying dinner outdoors. The chef stopped by my table to ask how I liked the meal.

I don't remember exactly what I said.

I think the smile on my face answered the question before I could.

Looking back on the day, I noticed how many simple conversations had quietly shaped it. A new reader. A hiking recommendation. New friends on a pickleball court. A voicemail left in hope. A chef checking on a guest. None of those moments asked for attention. Together, they became a reminder that God is often at work through ordinary encounters.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." — Romans 8:28 (NIV)

Join me here:

https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong

Captain's Addendum

Spock: "Michael, the Captain's log indicates another day filled with unexpected connections."

Bones: "I have to admit, Spock, a good hike, friendly competition, and a satisfied chef make for a pretty good prescription."

Spock: "The evidence suggests that small encounters often reveal a larger pattern over time."

Looking back on the day, I smiled at how many simple moments became part of the journey. I did not know where each conversation would lead. I simply showed up, listened, and remained open to what came next.

One conversation at a time. One step at a time. One percent better, one day at a time.

I am grateful for the people God places along the path and the quiet reminders that every ordinary day carries the possibility of extraordinary grace.



No comments: