Thursday, July 30, 2026

The Baseline


Stardate 07.30.2026

Yesterday I shared the story of walking through the wrong door.

I didn't realize that story was only half finished.

I had arrived for a scheduled float therapy session during one of my days of rest and restoration. While looking for the entrance, I accidentally walked into the neighboring business, DexaFit, owned by Adam and Jessica Kuchnia.

After apologizing for interrupting their day, I started visiting with Jessica. She shared a little about what they do and explained one of their services—a DEXA scan.

I was intrigued.

The challenge was my schedule. I was away from home on assignment and couldn't promise I'd be available another day.

Jessica smiled.

"We can do it now."

That simple act of kindness changed the course of my afternoon.

A few minutes later, I found myself lying quietly on the scanner while it gathered information I had never seen before.

When the scan was complete, Jessica carefully walked me through each section of the report. We talked about body composition, bone density, visceral fat, muscle mass, and several other measurements that offered a clearer picture of my health than a bathroom scale ever could.

Then we arrived at one number that made me pause.

Biological Age: 73.

I'm 66 years old.

I sat quietly with that number.

The report wasn't offering a prediction. It was giving me a starting point.

I've spent much of this year trying to become a healthier version of myself. Daily walks. Better sleep. Strength training. My ongoing sardine experiment. Small choices that I hope will add up over time.

Now I have a baseline.

One day I'll return for another scan and discover what has changed. Until then, I'll keep showing up and doing the next right thing. Healthy habits rarely attract much attention. They quietly shape the future.

As I reflected on the experience later that evening, I found myself thinking less about the numbers and more about the people behind them.

Adam and Jessica Kuchnia welcomed a complete stranger who had wandered through the wrong door. They answered my questions, made room in their schedule, and treated me with genuine kindness.

If you happen to be in the Madison area and have been curious about your own health baseline, I can honestly recommend paying them a visit. At the time of my appointment, new customers could receive a DEXA scan for $99.

You'll find DexaFit at 376 Junction Road in Madison, Wisconsin.

Kindness has a way of leaving a lasting impression.

"Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."
— Psalm 90:12

If you've been enjoying these daily reflections, you're always welcome to join me here:

https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong

Thank you for spending a few moments with me today.

I hope you'll welcome the unexpected opportunities that come your way. Some of life's most meaningful moments begin with a door you never intended to open.

Captain's Addendum

Spock: "Michael, every mission begins with accurate readings. The data simply tells us where the journey starts."

Bones: "Just promise me you won't spend all day studying the report. You've got another chapter to write."

I smiled as I imagined the conversation.

Yesterday the wrong door led to an unexpected meeting.

Today, I'm thankful I walked through it.

No comments: