Stardate 07.23.2026
Yesterday, I noticed something beautiful unfolding.
As I welcomed new members and worked alongside our newest team members, I watched light bulbs turn on throughout the day. Someone would ask a question. We'd walk through the process together. Then their expression would change.
They saw something they hadn't seen just moments before.
Those brief moments did more than answer a question. They dissolved a self-limiting belief.
One person realized, "I can do this."
Another discovered, "This makes sense now."
Confidence quietly began replacing uncertainty.
As the day continued, I noticed the same thing happening with our new team. Every conversation revealed another piece of our culture. Every small success built confidence for the next challenge. Their growth seemed to accelerate because each new understanding opened the door to another.
I drove back to my hotel room thinking about those light bulb moments.
Then one happened to me.
For many years, the Serenity Prayer has been one of the anchors of my spiritual life.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
I've prayed those words countless times.
Yesterday, I heard them differently.
For most of my life, my attention naturally settled on the first phrase: accept the things I cannot change. That part of the prayer brought peace during difficult seasons. It reminded me to place into God's hands what was never mine to control.
As I reflected on the day, another phrase gently came into focus.
"...courage to change the things I can..."
Suddenly, every light bulb I had witnessed throughout the day pointed back to those words.
Each new member changed a belief about what they were capable of.
Each new teammate discovered another opportunity to grow.
Nothing around them had changed in that instant.
Their understanding had.
Then another realization quietly settled into my heart.
Perhaps my own list of "things I can change" has been too small.
That thought stayed with me.
For years, I unknowingly placed many opportunities into the category of things I simply needed to accept. Yet God has been patiently teaching me that there is often far more within my reach than I first believed.
I may not be able to change every circumstance.
I can change how I respond.
I can change how I encourage others.
I can change my habits.
I can choose to learn.
I can grow.
I can trust God enough to take the next faithful step.
That's when another light bulb came on.
Wisdom came when I recognized my list of "things I can change" had been too small.
James encourages us with these words:
"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." — James 1:5 (NIV)
Yesterday, wisdom didn't arrive through something dramatic.
It arrived while watching other people learn.
It arrived through a familiar prayer.
It arrived when God quietly expanded my understanding of what He had already placed within my reach.
Today, I'll be watching for more light bulb moments.
I have a feeling they're all around us.
Join me here:
https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong
Captain's Addendum
Bones: "Captain, I'd say you've been carrying a brighter flashlight than you realized."
Spock: "An understandable oversight, Doctor. Increased wisdom frequently expands one's perception of available choices."
I smiled at their exchange. Every light bulb moment begins with seeing something that was already there. Sometimes God doesn't change our circumstances first. He changes our understanding, and suddenly the path ahead becomes visible.
Thank you for walking this part of the journey with me. May today bring one small insight that lights the next faithful step.
No comments:
Post a Comment