Monday, July 26, 2021

Never Miss an Opportunity to Express Gratitude

 I sent her a Facebook friend request at 5am her time this morning.  She impacted thousands of lives during her tenure as an English teacher and coach of the girls tennis team at Sunnyslope High School.  Mrs. Nancy Porter was not my teacher or coach.  Great influencers can impact lives even when the coaching may be indirect as in my case.

Before I share my personal story, I would like to offer my condolences to Mrs. Porter for her loss of her twin sister to the pink cancer that struck both ladies.  As she did repeatedly coaching tennis and building champions, Coach Nancy tamed her cancer opponent.  Sadly, her twin was asked to exit the game of life a few years ago and meet the great umpire who determines our match schedules on earth. I'm sorry for your loss, Mrs. Porter.  

Tennis is and always will be an important part of my life.  It started the summer before high school.  The boys team shared court time with Mrs. Porter's girls.  Her girls were the best of the best.  Why?  I believe it comes from outstanding coaching.  I learned that Mrs. Porter got some coaching pointers from her time north of the border in Canada.  Near the conclusion of my senior year at Sunnyslope she asked me about my summer plans and offered a suggestion that changed my life.  "I can write a letter of recommendation and get you a job teaching tennis at the camp I worked at in Canada," she said.  I got in.  Yep.  Three of the best summers of my life were spent approximately 150 miles north of Toronto.  I was asked by the owner to stay for the fall season and teach at the the five star resort.  All of this because Mrs. Nancy Porter reached out to a kid who secretly needed a break in the game of life that sometimes kicks us in our butts.  I'm one of the lucky ones.  All of this because of great mentors like Mrs. Porter.  Thank you!  I hope the grammar errors are at a minimum should you find this story, Mrs. Porter.  Maybe your twin in Heaven can direct an angel or two to connect us once again.  Have a great day.  Thank you for your service.


No comments: