Thursday, February 15, 2024

First Pickleball Seed Planted for Outdoor Play in My Neighborhood

It's been eight days since the first seed was planted for outdoor pickleball courts on the property adjacent to our home.  The real credit for the idea goes to the folks I met in Eau Claire, Wisconsin while on a day job assignment.  I met Marilyn, a retired athletic director from the university who once worked at the University of Iowa before relocating thirty-five years ago.  She first introduced pickle ball to Iowa over three decades ago.   Marilyn never stopped believing pickleball would someday be the rage.  It's now the fastest growing sport in America.

I listened intently when Marilyn shared her story about seeking a grant to fund outdoor pickleball courts in her community at Mcdonough Park overlooking the Chippewa River.  Two dilapidated tennis courts were transformed into 12 pickleball courts that are in constant use even though the park is hidden in a remote location.  

I shared my idea for getting a grant to add four outdoor pickleball courts to city-owned property at our current rec center in our hometown just in time for the idea to be mentioned to the local city council.  Nicole told me yesterday it's time to draw up a proposal and share my vision at an upcoming meeting.  If all goes well, we will have new courts some time this Spring.  Stay tuned.  I'm super excited.  Thank you, Marilyn, for inspiring me to dream big.  Have a great day.

No comments: