Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Where Does Credibility Come From?

Are you having trouble in the credibility department?  Let's talk.  I know how you feel.  I know the price of credibility.  It's a price most people choose not to pay because they feel it's too high.  Credibility is a close cousin of failure.  Who in their right mind wants to fail?  The truth is that the more you fail, the closer you get to gaining credibility.  

One of my best early memories of my career has to do with knocking on doors and asking people if they would like to subscribe to the morning paper while I was in high school.  My boss offered me a free bus ride and ticket to Disneyland if I could get enough new "starts."  Failure greeted me at most of the doors I knocked on.  I wanted to quit.  My desire to get to Disneyland motivated me to keep going and get past my fear of rejection.  My buddies thought I had credibility.  After all, I was one of the few who got to go.  They will never know how many people responded negatively.  

There are two ways to gain credibility, education and experience.  I recommend you pursue both.  Learn as much as you can every day.  Be willing to go outside your comfort zone.  Have a great day.

No comments: