Sunday, August 30, 2015

A Simple Method to Avoid the Vacation Hangover


I passed the vacation hangover test.  This is significant because it means I'm on my way to living a debt free life.  Vacations and excuses always seemed to go together like peanut butter and jelly.  Not anymore.  I kicked all my excuses to the curb when I made a decision to own up to my financial shortcomings.

If you're afraid to plan for a vacation because you don't want to wake up to a new stack of credit card bills when you return home, this story is for you.  It's simple.  All you need is a tin can, an envelope, and a desire to stop making excuses for your out-of-control spending habits.  Here goes:
  1. Put your loose change in the tin can every night when you get home.  Don't raid it until vacation time.
  2. Decide how much money you're going to spend on your next vacation.  Divide that amount by the number of paychecks you receive every year.  When you cash your check, reserve enough cash for the vacation envelope and stash it away.
  3. Promise yourself you will not spend more on your vacation than what you have in the tin can and the envelope.
I was shocked that $130 fit into my tin can.  My bank was happy to put the change into their change machine and convert the coins into bills.  And there was more than enough funds in the envelope to cover my eleven day road trip.  There were four times when a credit card was required and my wife and I agreed we would immediately set aside the funds for the charges and treat the charges like debit card purchases to avoid the vacation hangover.  It works.  Try it.  Stop making excuses why you can't afford a vacation.  Your family will thank you.  Have a great day.

No comments: