Friday, May 3, 2013

Why I Won't Win Any Popularity Contests

"He must increase but I must decrease." ~ John 3:30


I read a great quote this morning..."You are not a citizen of this world trying to get to Heaven, you are a citizen of Heaven trying to get through this world."  It reminded me of the Bible quote from John 3:30 -- He must increase but I must decrease.  The idea of popularity contests keeps the focus on the individual.  The idea of being a citizen of Heaven keeps the focus on Jesus.  How many popular people do you know who spend the majority of their time talking or writing about Jesus?  I'm not referring to people who are in some kind of ministry, I'm talking about regular people who have regular jobs.

Just for fun, answer these questions...
  1. Would you sit next to one of "those people" on an airplane?
  2. Would you post a comment written by one of "those people"?
  3. Which is more important to you, being popular or doing your best to make Jesus popular?
If you are seeking to win a popularity contest and you are a citizen of Heaven, you may not win many votes.  I know I won't.  I'm okay with that.  My role is to decrease so there is enough space in my heart for Jesus to increase.  My role is to love others, especially the ones who may not love me.  What is your role?

No comments: