Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Time for a Mulligan Roast

My tennis buddies are planning a going away party for me.  My doubles partner, Larry, says it's going to be a roast, and I'm on the menu, literally.  When I first came to Ramona over twenty-two years ago, I met Elliott Fox, the leader of a men's tennis group that met every Saturday morning for hours of fun on the courts.  I asked Elliott to introduce me when I held my book release party at the new library.  His kind words touched me.  This upcoming roast will be much different.  I'm expecting some overhead smashes, a few drop shots, and a rally of words as long as some of the exchanges between my heroes, Nadal and Federrer.

My buddies are going to have lots of fun putting me on the rotisserie.  I will have my fun, too.  It may not happen right away.  Give me a few years.  When the time is right, I'll be serving a roast of my own.  It will be a novel filled with unsavory characters who have an uncanny resemblance to the chefs at the Mulligan roast.  Ahhh, the joy of writing!

No comments: