Sunday, February 19, 2012

Last Day Reading Scripture In Front Of My Congregation

“Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good” ~ Rom 12:21

One of my greatest joys is reading Scripture in front of my congregation, a volunteer job I've done for the last twenty-two years.  Years ago, I mentored other readers and organized schedules before relinquishing coordinating duties.  My volunteer work was taking its toll on my family and I promised my wife I would learn to say no to some tasks in order to find balance.

There is something special about reading Scripture out loud.  Yes, reading it to myself is meaningful;  proclaiming it in front of an audience is spine-tingling.  My favorite readings are from Paul.  This was a man who hated Christians and pursued them with relentless zeal.  When he met Jesus, his passion for killing Christians changed from pursuing Christians to serving Christians.  He wrote numerous letters, now part of the New Testament.  When I read them, I sometimes I feel he is speaking to me; when I read them in front of a crowd, I feel as if he is speaking "through" me.  This is a gift from the Holy Spirit.

What gifts do you share with others?  Please leave your comments below.

No comments: