Tuesday, April 5, 2011

An Emotional High

I was surprised when my wife informed me the first shipment of books arrived a full week ahead of the scheduled delivery.  At last, I can proclaim to the world I am officially a published author.  I could feel my heart pounding as I passed out books to each member of the writers group.

"You will need to come to the book signing to get it autographed," I said with a grin.  "That way I can be assured there will be at least six people at the table."

I asked Pete and Byron if they could please speak at the event on Saturday, April 16th.  They are the two leaders of our group and each owns a self publishing company.  They are considered gurus in the writing field and I can attest to their wisdom.  Their talks will inspire others to develop their writing talents.

The first time I felt this kind of exuberance was on my wedding day.  I remember gazing at my new bride as she walked down the aisle of her hometown church twenty one years ago.  Thoughts of children danced in my head as I attempted to keep my composure.  I wondered if God would give them the same stunning blue eyes that captivated me the first time I looked into them.

When my three children were born, this wedding day euphoria returned.  Ryan was the first, coming into the world with his face up and eyes already wide open, yes... blue eyes like his mother, busily scanning his new surroundings.  The back-to-back labor was excruciating for Helen, however, it made Ryan's entrance so spectacular I nearly burst into a river of tears as I cut the chord.  The births of Nicole and Shane brought me back to a state of bliss when they made their grand entrances, joining their big brother.

Once again,  I find myself at the top of the mountain. It has been an arduous journey.  The air at this elevation is thin.  From here, I can see clearly what's ahead.  More mountains and a few valleys.  Before I leave this peak, I wish to linger for a while and savor the experience.  It's breathtaking.  I know in my heart I'm doing exactly what I was created to do.  My knees are bruised from all the falls and my clothes tattered, however, my heart is beating stronger than ever and I'm ready for what's on the horizon.  My hope is that I will get the opportunity to have an encounter with you on the trail ahead.  May you find your journey a joyful experience.

In case you are interested in a sneak peek of what's ahead on the road of life, check out the expression on this dog's face.  Yes, a picture IS worth a thousand words...

"Our Father, who art in heaven..."

No comments: