Sunday, February 13, 2011

Dinner/Dance/Auction Update

The team of volunteers that made this amazing event a success

Our church held it's Heart 2 Heart Dinner, Dance, Auction on Friday, 2/11/11.  I served as master of ceremonies and auctioneer for the evening, put on by thirteen members of the Heart 2 Heart committee (pictured above).

I had never been on auctioneer before this evening and volunteered my services for free in order to save money on expenses. The morning of the auction, one of my business partners recommended that I watch a YouTube video for pointers. I found a two-minute clip from the international finals for auctioneers and got a pretty good idea of what to do.

The excitement of the crowd filled me up with high energy as I opened the auction. I felt as though I had been an auctioneer all my life. Even my wife was surprised at what she witnessed. The final item of the evening was the package of books from my writers critique group.  I placed a certificate for the first collector's copy of my book in this package. As I spoke about these items, three men from our congregation stood up and joined me up front. Each one took the microphone and gave a testimony to my work in the church. I really thought that I was going to lose it up there as I listened to these revered men speak from their heart. Once they were finished, all three men hugged me and wished me luck.

I was stunned to see so many people bidding for this package. When it was all over, I collected checks totaling $425 for this final item of the evening. This represents the first fruit of my writing work and all proceeds have been donated to my Creator.

Once the auction was over, the committee went to work on collecting all the funds while the DJ opened up the dance floor. My wife and I danced the night away. I didn't want this night to end. Thanks to all who contributed. It was a true pleasure to serve my church community.

Preparing the 41 silent auction gift baskets for display.

The basket ladies work their magic.

The transformation process is underway.

Donated by our church's latest addition to Heaven.  Many thanks to the children and grandchildren mourning the loss of a special man.

Members of the Ramona Christian Writers Critique Group donate their books to the live auction.

The firefighters go on the auction block to help raise funds for our church.


Volunteers tabulate silent auction updates.

The Ramona Community Center is transformed .
Members of the Heart 2 Heart committee collect money for the live auction

These are our beloved firefighters, the people responsible for saving our community from two devastating wildfires.  They are donating an evening at their firehouse where they will cook.  The place roared with applause when I introduced them to the crowd of appreciative fans.  God Bless our firefighters!

Auction check-out.  Over $7,000 was collected from the silent and live action.

Going once, Going twice....SOLD!
The love of my life. Check out the last song we danced to below (I can't get it out of my head).


No comments: