Sunday, April 11, 2010

Gadgets and Gizmos



One of the favorite gadgets my father had was a Trans Oceanic radio made by Zenith. He brought it with him on our weekend camping trips and loved finding radio stations from far off places. Excitement filled his face as he discovered broadcasts from obscure locations.

If he were still alive today, I know he would be astounded at the new inventions that have been designed to make our life simpler. On the other end of the spectrum is my mother who is now retired. Her idea of simple is no computer or email. That's right, if you want to find her, forget about Facebook or even the now vintage cell phone. Get in your car and take a drive to her home of 44+ years. Her cabinets are new and the gadgets and gizmos in the kitchen have been upgraded but you won't find a computer anywhere in her home. She likes face-to-face contact and sharing meals together, just like the characters from "Happy Days".

My cousins all remember the ever-present pot of pinto beans that was the standard staple in our home. When you mixed the pinto beans with my grandmother's home-made tortillas, you had something very special. You just can't get that same closeness when you are using all the high-tech stuff.

I am thankful for all the gadgets and gizmos that are around today. Without them, this blog and the books that are to follow would be difficult to produce. I am also thankful that my mother is around to remind me that personal visits are priceless. I hope she never lets go of that special touch even when she sets up her first home computer to make her life simple.

No comments: