Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Oh Danny Boy – A Tribute to My Bro

Family privacy agreements prevent me from disclosing much more than a tribute here in this story.  All I can say is that I'm really proud of my brother, Danny, who was named after this song.  I really didn't know the meaning behind the song until one of the singers on stage shared the background before performing in front of our pilgrimage group.

Irish families were broken apart when so many fled in search of a way to survive during the famine.  Those who were left behind knew they would probably never see each other again.  This song is a message from Ireland to the immigrants.  While there is hope for a return it is most probably to visit the grave site.  If you can imagine in your mind what it must have been like to say goodbye when these families departed, you may begin to feel what the Irish felt.  This song is for you, my brother.  Have a great day.



No comments: