Saturday, June 15, 2019

Connections





We're all connected.  Sometimes the links are obvious.  Blood relatives.  Our neighborhoods.  Childhood friends.  Peers at work.  Other times, the connections are somewhat invisible.  Unexpected coincidences reveal how we fit together.


I'm thankful for the way we're connected here on this blog.  It's personal for me.  There was a time when I felt writing was not the best use of the allotted time we have on this planet.  I had this anger toward my dad for "wasting" his time writing books and chasing publishers.  They sent so many rejection letters that even Einstein himself would have trouble tallying the count.


Dad passed away in 2002.  I don't think he got the opportunity to see the movie, Castaway, which was released at the end of 2000 while dad was living in Mexico.  If he were alive today, he would be encouraging me keep going with my writing, no matter how crazy the story may be to the world around me.  He would tell me to never give up on my dreams no matter how far-fetched they seem.  Yes, it's personal.  I'm dedicating this Father's Day to my dad.  I'm thankful I not only inherited his passion for writing, but also his perseverance gene.  I'm thankful for all the connections, even to those who are no longer with us.  They may have drifted away, like Wilson did in the movie, Castaway.  Sometimes, they come back.  I have Wilson as my sidekick now.  I also have great memories of my dad.  Connections.  They are treasures.  Cherish them.  Have a great day.

No comments: