Saturday, May 5, 2018

Happy Cinco de Mayo


Although many may be confused about why Cinco de Mayo is celebrated,  it's an extra special day for me this year.  Today I'm celebrating fully restored health.  Today is my three month anniversary since my auto accident on the Cinco de Febrero.  I'm back on the tennis courts at noon with my doubles partner, Fred, and we're playing our final match of the men's 18+ regular season.  Our team won all their matches while I was on the sidelines recovering from seven broken ribs and an injured spleen.  We already earned a playoff spot next month and plan to step up our practice sessions outdoors now that the snow is in the rear view mirror.

There are times in our lives when the opposing forces seem bigger, stronger and impossible to defeat.  Our neighbors south of the border faced a similar situation and stood strong against a powerful enemy on this day in 1862 against the french forces of Napoleon III.  My opponent, Mother Nature, nearly ended my time here when I slid across the yellow line on highway 149 and got t-boned by a fast moving van.  Overcoming the physical injuries was easier than dealing with the post traumatic stress associated with the accident.  I would like to thank the experts who helped me get comfortable behind the wheel again during our extended Winter.  Win or lose today, I'm going to celebrate life with my precious wife after today's match.  Happy Cinco de Mayo.  Have a great day.





No comments: