Monday, May 14, 2018

Got Joy?


The trauma team doctors were caught off-guard when I asked, "when can I play tennis again?"

Maybe my timing wasn't appropriate given my circumstances at the moment I was admitted to the hospital but I really wanted to know.  The first answer the doctor blurted out was, "six weeks – minimum."  His emphasis was on minimum.  His answer was my starting point in my recovery.  I couldn't play tennis with seven broken ribs but I could visualize it in my mind.  There's no pain when you're eyes are closed and you're in your happy place doing what you love.

What's holding you back from joy in your life?  Are you missing out on what brings you joy?  Why?  These questions are important to ask yourself because joy is an important ingredient in life and if it's not there, life will be dull and uninspiring.

The other day I received a random compliment while I was typing and I remembered how pathetic my typing skills were in my college days.   My mother saved me from doom when my hunt and peck typing method wasn't cutting it on important term papers.   Besides tennis, my real joy comes from writing.  The more I type on my laptop, the easier the key strokes become.  Is the joy increasing?  Yes.  I'm doing what I love.  I'm always looking for a better way to improve my serve or put a sentence together.  That's my recommendation for you – discover what you love and make the time to do it.  Have a great day.

No comments: