Saturday, February 17, 2018

My Top Gun Moment


My Top Gun moment, a close personal encounter with an opponent capable of taking your last breath away, occurred at 2:50pm on Monday, Feb 5.  I lost control of my 96 Honda Accord during a heavy snow storm and slid across the yellow line in front of a fast moving Dodge Grand Caravan.  I thought I would be safe when my car drifted all the way off Highway 149  and into the snow but the car suddenly swerved back onto the highway angled in such a way that our daughter was going to take a direct hit on the right passenger side of the vehicle.  I yanked hard right on the steering wheel and watched helplessly as the car rotated clockwise more than 90ยบ exposing my driver's side perpendicular to the oncoming van.  Shards of glass flung all around us when we collided and two windows blew out.  We spun around like tea cups at a Disney ride and ended up in a ditch facing the accident scene.  The other driver was unhurt and his airbag deployed.  My vehicle did not come equipped with a side air bag and that's how the side door was able to pierce the left side of my body.  Both autos were totaled. 

You can read more details about the accident by clicking on the archives on the right margin.  I'm headed back to the trauma unit at University of Iowa Hospital on Monday, 2/19 for an evaluation.  There are seven broken ribs and my spleen is injured.  I've been following the recovery plan and look forward to a 100% recovery.  I may have crashed, but I didn't burn.  Our daughter walked away from the accident unscathed.  I made her promise me she would not let this accident deter her from soaring like an eagle in the pursuit of her dreams and she is in the process of earning her wings.

I would like to thank everyone for continued prayers.  I'm counting my blessings every day and look forward to seeing friends and family soon.  I'll be able to return to my day job once I'm cleared and the doctors say I can play competitive tennis again after six weeks.  This is one Top Gun moment I will never forget.  Have a great day.

No comments: