Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Is Your Half Empty Half Full Glass Leaking?

We've all heard the half full vs. half empty glass question.  The reality is that the levels in the glass are always changing.  Debating how much liquid is present takes the focus away from something more important:  Is the glass leaking?

A leaking glass is similar to the frog in hot water who isn't aware the heat is being turned up -- one degree at a time.  Eventually, he boils to death.  If the leak in the glass is small enough, the fluids may escape without the glass debaters noticing.

Imagine that something you value is inside your glass, such as your hopes and dreams.  Half the people in the world believe in you and see your glass half full.  The other half see your glass half empty.  I ask you, "Do you see the leak?"

If you're having trouble identifying any leaks in your glass, ask yourself these questions:
  1. How much fluid was in your glass last year?  Five years ago?  Ten years ago?  In your childhood?
  2. What do you think is causing your glass to leak?
  3. What solutions do you have for making glass repairs?
I don't trust my own senses well enough to answer question number 3.  Instead, I put my faith in the Holy Spirit.  I believe the Holy Spirit can repair any leaks, even the ones I can't see.  I also believe the Holy Spirit can restore any fluid that leaked from the glass.  The quality of the water the Holy Spirit adds to my glass is heavenly; when I drink it, I'm no longer thirsty..."but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life." ~ John 4:14

No comments: