Saturday, April 6, 2013

After the Fall



Jesus fell three times while hauling His Cross to the place where He was crucified.  One time would have been enough for me to see the lesson.  Jesus wanted the exclamation point.  He knows how many times we fall in our lives.  I think I've been on the ground more often than I've been on two feet.  And I've needed help from others to help me carry my own Cross, just as Jesus needed assistance after the third fall.

Do you ever wonder what motivated Jesus to keep getting up?  I believe the answer is love.  It started with the Father.  He loved us so much that He sent Jesus to die for us.  It wasn't an easy job.  It involved torture, humiliation, isolation and a whole lot of agony.  And Jesus kept getting back on His feet.  He followed His Father's plan.  He gave up His life for us in order that we have new life -- life after the fall.  That's how much Jesus loves us.

I feel inspired today to get back on my feet.  There is nothing in this world that can stop me from following Jesus or sharing all the good that He is doing for us.  And I'm motivated by people I know who refuse to stay down after a fall -- like my friend, Major Bryan Forney, a marine who was critically injured while serving overseas.  His body is covered in burns.  His loving wife, Jenny, writes daily updates about his surgeries and his roller coaster ride.  If you would like to follow the story, click here.

There are many others around me who inspire me to get up after every fall.  Some are in the final season of their lives.  Others are regular people with not so regular challenges.  They keep getting up.  They know that not even death will stop them from getting up.  That is the joy of the Resurrection.  Remember this:  He is risen!  Follow Him.  Jesus is the expert.  He knows how to get back up after the fall.  And He loves you.  Do you need help carrying your cross today?  Ask Jesus.

No comments: