Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Hangover

This is probably a difficult day for many people. Celebrating St. Patrick's Day in the middle of the week can take a lot out of a person, especially as the body ages. One of the biggest lessons I learned from my early years is that the best way to handle a hangover is to avoid drinking.

Not all hangovers are alcohol related. Some hangovers come from watching our favorite team fall apart in a big game. Putting a family pet to sleep can cause a hangover that lingers for days and weeks.

An alcohol related hangover can be helped by drinking lots of water. The pain you are feeling is from the dehydration as the alcohol leaves the brain cells. All other hangovers can be eliminated through prayer and fellowship.

A true friend will be there for you when you are feeling down. I have found no better friend than Jesus. My tennis buddies, my Zoom partners and my church friends have also made a huge difference in my life.

We are not meant to live our lives in caves. We need support from people around us. If you are struggling with a hangover, go out and join a group and get involved in your community. Don't overlook the power of prayer. Jesus is always there, even on your worst hangover days.

No comments: