Saturday, August 22, 2020

Try This to Overcome Fear

 Have you ever analyzed fear?  One popular acronym for fear is "false evidence appearing real."  When this happens, it's really easy to be overwhelmed unless you know how to probe deeper and dismantle what is false.  I like to ask questions when others tell me they are afraid of something I sense may be false evidence.  Here are some examples:

Where does this information come from?

Why do you feel this way?

Have you considered the possibility that your information may be incorrect?

What would you do differently if you found out what you believe is different from the facts?

Once false evidence is proven false, fear no longer has the edge.  It must dissipate.  I had to go through this after my car accident.  I had this false belief that driving in a car would lead to another accident.  It appeared very real in my mind.  So real that I wasn't sure I could return to my day job which involves driving.  I got some help from professionals.  My daily tests included driving small distances.  If I could drive one mile and not get hurt, I could chip away at the false evidence in my mind.  One mile became two miles.  Slowly, I learned I could drive without injury.  I'm free now.  I needed to show my brain that my fear was based on false evidence appearing real.  Try this on your fears and see what happens.  Have a great day.


No comments: