Saturday, August 29, 2020

My First Drone Flight

 Our oldest son got me a surprise gift yesterday.  It wasn't a birthday or anniversary.  It was a random act of kindness.  My wife filmed me opening the new drone.  "You fly it first," Ryan said, offering me the controls.  The next thing I knew, my drone was soaring up, way up.  The neighborhood birds were chasing it as I did my high-speed maneuvers, zigging and zagging with reckless abandon, unaware of time.  My heart was pumping. I darted past the trees to keep track of my new gift as it zipped toward the horizon.  I reached the outer limits of the drone's Wifi connection and it disappeared behind some trees in a nearby cemetery.  We spent our remaining time in the cemetery attempting to recover the lost drone.  We went home emptyhanded.  As brief as this exciting moment was, my heart was filled with gratitude and I thanked our son for being so thoughtful.  Next time I'm reading the directions before takeoff.  The replacement drone will be here next week.  Thank you, son, for getting me hooked on drones.  It was a father-son moment I will cherish forever.  Have a great day

No comments: