Sunday, May 5, 2024

Happy Cinco de Mayo

We are blessed to have two Mexican food restaurants in our town and both happen to be located close in proximity on the east side of our town square.  Either one is a great place to celebrate 'Cinco de Mayo.' This is the day our neighbors to our south commemorate victory over the French at the battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.

Many people in the United States mistakenly believe Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of Mexican independence.  It's not.  The battle of Puebla was a huge win for the underdogs who were greatly outnumbered in Puebla but much more work was necessary before the enemy was sent packing years later.  Napoleon III ordered the withdrawal of his troops on January 31, 1866.  The last troops exited in November, 1867.  

My own personal celebration of Cinco de Mayo may appear strange to those who love Mexican food.  Although I trace my heritage on my mother's side of the family to Zacatecas in Mexico, I choose to eat my burritos without tortillas.  Flour has been banished from my food choices as my body responds with inflammation.  For me, no inflammation increases the happiness of my family physician, my wife and family, and yours truly.  Happy Cinco de Mayo.  Have a great day.

No comments: