Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Servant Leadership

 The one I follow teaches servant leadership like no other.  It's a lesson most prefer to ignore because there is no glamor or glory.  Perhaps that's why I'm attracted to those people who serve without any desire to live in the spotlight.  

I got an opportunity to meet one of my mentors while on a day job assignment.  The first time she met me I appeared to be wandering around, perhaps out of sorts because I was asked to join a training session with people who were way above my pay grade.  

We met again years later when she visited a new location we were setting up in another state.  "Are you in charge?"  she asked, knowing I had been properly trained by her extraordinary team and that I was given credentials to lead others.  "I'm support," I answered;  "I'm one of the servants."

Why is it so important to learn the servant role?  I believe this keeps you from getting a big head.  Maybe you can recall a time in your life when you suffered having a boss who treated you poorly because you were "below" him or her.  Or, maybe you remember a boss who treated you like family.  I fully understand that motivation to excel can come from leaders who display empathy for the servants.  I prefer the servant role because this allows me to see first-hand how people of influence behave.  The same is true when I'm dining out with others.  If you want to see me lose my cool, all you need to do is mistreat the server.  

If you happen to be in a leadership role and you're looking to move up, I have one important tip for you.  Step out of your comfort zone and do something in a servant role.  Go somewhere where no one knows you and volunteer.  If you get mistreated because the people around you assume you are "below" them, you will learn a valuable leadership lesson that you can apply to yourself.  Have a great day.

No comments: