Wednesday, May 8, 2024

36 Million Americans Now Playing Pickleball

City Council is holding an important vote in our community on Monday, 5/13.  Our newly formed pickleball club, now at 150 members, is working behind the scenes in preparation.  Should the city of Williamsburg located in Eastern Iowa give us their blessing, we will go into hyper-drive raising the necessary funds to construct four outdoor pickleball courts on city property on the south side of the recreation center.  Key members of the community are joining the fun and will offer their thoughts about why we should move forward at the upcoming meeting.

There are several reasons why 36 million Americans play pickleball.  Unlike traditional sports which require large groups in order to play, a pickleball player can show up any time and most likely find someone to play with.  No reservations are required.  No commitment to play for the season is necessary.  Players can drop in or drop out any time.  There is no upper age limit.  Some members of the newly formed Pickleball Iowa County Club take breaks for walks around the indoor track or go on hikes on our surrounding trails between games.  In my opinion, the number one reason people are getting hooked on pickleball is the socialization aspect.  I was nearly moved to tears when a couple of members shared how pickleball helped them overcome loneliness because they were isolated in their homes.  

My number one reason for playing pickleball is because my wife loves playing and we can do this together.  My tennis buddies will readily admit the learning curve for tennis is rather long.  In my case, it took 49 years of playing tennis before I weaponized my backhand.  My wife mastered her pickleball backhand on her first day of playing.  I do find my time on the pickleball courts rewarding when it comes to physical fitness.  Pickleball is a great cardio workout.  Cross training in multiple sports helps me with my endurance on the tennis courts.  

Stay tuned for updates regarding our meeting with City Hall next week.  I have a feeling this meeting will be standing room only.  Have a great day. 

No comments: