Tuesday, January 2, 2024

A View from My Desktop

 There have been many moments in my life when all I did was stare at a blank page on my MacBook Pro uncertain about what ideas to convey.  I thought I would share what else I see on my desktop when I'm trying to get out my my writer's funk.  On my left is a photo of my wife donning dark sunglasses, a toothpaste commercial smile, a black sweater with a bright orange scarf, jeans and knee-high boots.  She's standing on a slope overlooking the Mississippi River in Dubuque, Iowa, one of my favorite places to visit when I need a reset.

To my right and closest to me is a picture of my mom.  Although her hair is long now and often in a braid, she sports a hair style reminiscent of the mom from the "Partridge family."  Next to her is a photo of our three adult children I snapped during the Holidays while we were living in Southern California.  They are dressed up and ready to celebrate Christmas morning.  Their smiles offer me joy when I need a lift.

Directly behind the family photos is a crystal ball with a model of Glendalough inside.  This is a small town in Ireland we visited a while back.  The importance of this place to me is this happens to be one of the places I visit during my morning meditations for refuge.  I was there a thousand times in my dreams before I got the opportunity to visit during a pilgrimage with my wife.

Next to the crystal ball is a wood carving from the Holy Land depicting the Good Shepherd, a gift from my jewish friend, Boris, one of my teammates from another city.  Last but not least is a Star Trek photo with me inserted between Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock on the bridge of the USS Enterprise.  The scene is from Star Trek II, The Wrath of Kahn, taken on star date 12/02/2002 with teammates from another life while we were celebrating an important victory in Las Vegas when Star Trek The Experience, the Las Vegas Edition was on display.  This photo reminds me of my mission to publish "Live Long and Prosper," a tribute to Spock.

There are some challenging times ahead and I'm preparing myself by practicing daily rituals.  At times, I come up for air and treat myself to a diversion like the next book I ordered yesterday.  It turns out that one of my new friends went to school with the author of "The View From The Bridge," a story about his time in Hollywood.  Nicholas Meyer is the director of two Star Trek movies including Star Trek II, The Wrath of Kahn.  

I would like to conclude today's session with the final carving on my desktop, also from the Holy Land.  The words I live by are from Psalm 91:4...  He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge.  Have a great day.

No comments: