Saturday, January 6, 2024

Accidental Lucid Dream Discovery

 It's no secret I'm experimenting with my sleeping habits in order to improve the quality of my sleep.  While I may not be a scientist, I am quite fond of experiments.  I am also a creature of habit.  What happens when habits and change clash?  In my case, new ideas emerge which may lead to new habits.

The other day I accidentally left my smart watch on after I woke up to begin my morning meditations.  This led to an interesting discovery – lucid dreaming while under observation.  After this lucid dream experience, I immediately checked my smart watch to see the results of my meditation.  The state I was in is part sleep and part awake.  I knew in the dream I was flat on my back in bed yet I was on a swing with one rope leading up to the sky.  I couldn't see the end of the rope yet it was somehow attached to the swing.   While I was dreaming I had no sensation of my fingers or toes yet I could feel my body coiling up with my knees almost touching my chest.  I knew I was dreaming but I was partially awake at the same time.  I didn't know If my body was flat or curling but I felt like I was curling.  Then, my wife touched me while she was still asleep and this confirmed I was in my bed and not on a swing.  I woke up.  Yes, my body was still flat and I was not curled up.  What does this mean?  I don't know.  What I do know is my smart watch detected I was in deep sleep during this lucid dream.  Interesting.  The experiments will continue.  

I'm thankful for my smart watch.  I'm grateful the quality of my sleep is improving.  I have absolutely no idea where my experiments will lead me.  If Mr. Spock were here he would probably say, "Fascinating."  Stay tuned for more about this topic.  Have a great day.

No comments: