Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Back on the Tennis Courts Tonight

 I suffered a crushing singles defeat several weeks ago in a Men's 40+ league match in the 4.0 division against a talented younger player from Mexico City.  One of my greatest weapons is my ability to outlast my opponents.  This never happened as my opponent grew up playing soccer.  It was like playing the Energizer Bunny.  The 6-0, 6-1 thrashing served as a wakeup call.  Last week I drilled like a madman.  Tonight I will be playing doubles in preparation for our last match of the season in this age group.  It's not easy juggling my life around in order to play on three different tennis teams.  In the back of my mind I know Fr. Time is casting his shadow over my game and someday I will need to step aside.  Not today.  Not Saturday.  Not this season. My teammates are counting on me to be there for them when we defend our state title.  The Midwest playoffs are rigorous with scorching heat and high humidity.  The opponents are relentless.  All I can say is we will be ready.  Have a great day.

No comments: