Thursday, November 10, 2022

Rabbit Hunting 101

Yesterday I heard a quote from Confucius, a wise Chinese philosopher.  The quote stuck with me all day long because of the power of the lesson.  I ran across someone who inquired about my book writing while at my day job.  I shook my head no and told him there are two book projects and neither are ready to be released.  He said, "Man who chases two rabbits catches neither."  Boom!  This hit me really hard, especially since I've been cautioned in the past to focus and I'm often distracted.  Has this ever happened to you?  I think Confucius was referencing two rabbits running in opposite directions.  That's a very good mental picture of what happens when you lose focus.

Notice that this lesson applies to men.  Why?  In my opinion, when a woman chases two rabbits, not only does she catch both, but she also hunts for delicious fruits, veggies, nuts, beans, and seeds to serve along with the bunnies she caught while out jogging.  The female can do it all while the male gets stuck chasing two rabbits with nothing to show at the end of the day when he returns to the female who remodeled the house, called all her friends, and served up a feast for the family knowing the husband would come home with his tail between his legs because he got lost.

I believe I'm slowly catching on.  The year is almost over and I pretty much have been chasing one rabbit all year.  I stayed focused on the hunt every morning at sunrise.  I used the same gazelle-like intensity Dave Ramsey refers to when slaying the debt dragon to chase this "Bible in a Year" rabbit.  I followed the bunny hopping through the pages of Genesis and all the chapters of the Old Testament.  The rabbit I'm hunting is now cornered in Luke's gospel and it's almost time to finally catch him just in time to celebrate the New Year.  Thank you, Mr. Confucius, for helping me understand the male brain and it's limitations.  By the way, I feel pretty good about all the new wisdom I gained while out bunny hunting, especially in Proverbs and the Book of Wisdom.  Confucius is wise but I believe Jesus has perfect wisdom.  

If you are a man, focus on one rabbit.  If you are a woman, carry on.  You can add my request to share this story to your to do list without skipping a beat.  Your friends may get a chuckle.  Have a great day.

No comments: