Thursday, November 17, 2022

Iowa's Best Kept Secret



 How can you peek into our country's history, see amazing art, and discover how laws are made in one place for free?  I've been living in Iowa for over ten years and didn't know the answer until yesterday afternoon.  It almost didn't happen because I showed up alone and the guided tour doesn't usually happen unless at least two people are present.

I would like to thank my two tour guides, Sara and Morgan, who offered to take me on a one hour tour of Iowa's state capital yesterday.  This is 100% free and it's fun.  We climbed a spiral staircase all the way to the top of the building where you can have the best view of the city of Des Moines, the capital of Iowa.  The art imported from Europe is a must see.  Self-guided tours are an option but you miss out on some spectacular rooms off limits to visitors unless a tour guide is present.

I plan to return to the capital building in Des Moines at a later date with my family.  This building happens to be ranked in the top five of US capital buildings.  Come see for yourself why this place is rated so high by past visitor.

I would like to thank my new friends for demonstrating what "Iowa nice" means.  I told them one of my friends sailed on the USS Iowa when they brought me to a hallway containing a giant replica of the navy ship.  It turns out my buddy actually served on a different Iowa ship, the USS Dubuque.  I apologize for my reporting error.  There is one fun fact about the USS Iowa - the length happens to be 3 football fields long.  I told my tour guides our new location in Ankeny is big enough to hold two full size ships the size of the USS Iowa.

Make plans to take a tour of Iowa's state capital the next time you visit Iowa.  Have a great day.


No comments: