Thursday, November 15, 2018

Stretch Your Budget With Rewards


The next three years of my life are going to be interesting.  The outside observer may argue there's no room for fun and games with such an airtight budget.  It's all about rewards.  The biggest payoff is the mortgage payoff at the end of this 36 month experience.  The smaller rewards are already factored in and accounted for.  For example, I'm making sure our 30th wedding anniversary is celebrated on the same island where it all started with a proposal on a secluded beach in Maui.  We'll be back and it won't break the bank even though we're booked for two weeks early next year.  The hotel is prepaid.  We're flying standby and we're using our credit card reward certificate to cover the rental for our convertible which comes with a free upgrade.  It also helps that my day job has a location across the street from the airport so we can get our food at mainland prices.  Snorkeling and walks on the beach are free.  The look on her face when I tell her she looks as beautiful as she did thirty years ago will be absolutely priceless.

Dave Ramsey tells his followers, "live like no one else so you can live like no one else."  I already am.  I may be one of the few from his tribe who actually use a credit card but I do believe it can assist with debt payoff when used with proper discipline and I make sure to keep my balance at zero in order to avoid paying interest.  A splurge like Maui doesn't have to break the bank when you use rewards to help offset the costs.  Have fun with your budget.  It will help you stay on track.  Have a great day.

No comments: