Monday, November 26, 2018

All Things Broken


I passed a significant test yesterday and it felt great.  It was my first blizzard since the accident.  My wife wanted me to stay home and cuddle in front of the fireplace.  There were others at my day job who called it a day before they got out of bed.  As tempting as my wife's offer was, I knew to the core of my being I needed to face my biggest fear – driving in challenging conditions.  It was time to get back on the horse.

My siblings were the ones who got all the broken bones in our childhood years.  My clean streak ended when I slid in front of an oncoming vehicle and got smacked in the ribs earlier this year.  My body was a mess.  The only thing unbroken was my spirit.  It seemed odd to me that the doctors would send me home 24 hours after breaking 7 bones but I trusted their judgment and went home to recover.  I was back at my day job and back on the tennis courts after two months on the sidelines.

Speaking of broken things, there's one more thing I'm breaking – bad habits.  They don't really die.  They get upgraded.  The best example I can offer from my own life experiences has to do with spending.  My old bad habit consisted of charging first and paying later.  I paid unnecessary taxes on this habit in the form of interest payments to my credit card companies.  The new habit is simple – earn the money first before charging and pay the bill as soon as it clears pending.  I pretend my credit card is a debit card and this prevents interest charges.  Those annual rebate checks from my credit card company are my favorite rewards for upgrading my behavior patterns.  It feels like moving from coach to first class.

Are there any skeletons in your closet that could use some broken bones?  Analyze your bad habits and give them a good karate chop.  Today is a good day to upgrade your bad habits.  Have a great day.

No comments: