Monday, November 19, 2018

Winning Habits


We didn't get the team win yesterday.  I told my doubles partner I believe practicing once a week isn't enough for me against these savvy senior players, many retired, who play regularly during the week.  That's what winning habits do for you, they set you up for victory in every area of your life.  While my tennis game may be less that what I desire right now, I've been working hard to put the rest of my life on a series of daily routines that appear to be worthwhile.

It's not necessary to re-invent yourself all at once.  I believe small changes work better than total makeovers, especially when you commit 100% to making a new habit stick and stay with it until it becomes permanent before moving on.

If you're like me, a new habit may appear like a golf ball.  In the early stages, that golf ball is all over the place, rarely landing in the green when you hit it, especially if your last name happens to be Mulligan.  I already know my golf ball will be in the sand trap when I begin making the necessary additional monthly payments needed to pay off our mortgage in 36 months.  My "sand traps" are unexpected repairs, temptations to eat out, property taxes twice a year, and income taxes.  Am I going to give up when the golf ball drifts?  Hell no.  This habit is a 36 hole golf course and I'm not leaving until that last putt is sunk and I achieve financial independence.  I can work on my tennis game later in the Spring when playing outdoors is free.

What price are you willing to pay to develop winning habits?  I recommend you find three friends and ask them to join you on your journey.  Help each other to reach your goals.  I'll see you on the course.  Have a great day.

No comments: