Tuesday, August 9, 2016

My Blind Date with Davinci Ends Happily


My blind date with Davinci, a robot my surgeon, Dr. Nicholas Kuiper set me up with to repair my groin hernia ended happily yesterday.  I don't recall anything about our time together.  In fact, I slept through the whole experience and never laid eyes on her $2 million dollar body.  Davinci's profile picture from the hospital website shows off slender fingers and a figure resembling an alien from outer space sent to attack us.  Looks can be deceiving.  I'm thankful for my time with her.  She made me feel human again.  Davinci's purpose in life is to be less invasive than traditional surgery.  The only remnants of our time together are three quarter-sized incisions Davinci made in my midsection which she used to insert a mesh material and patch the tear in my groin.

All is well now.  I'll be back on the tennis courts soon and I owe it all to Davinci and her human team of doctors and staff at Grinnell hospital.  Consider arranging a date with her if you are ever in need of surgical repairs.  I'm still recovering from my experience with my hernia repairs yesterday and promise to share more about our team's playoff adventures in Oklahoma last weekend once the sedation wears off.  Dr. Kuiper will be sending me a video of our date and I'll post it for those of you interested in robotic surgery.  Have a great day.

No comments: