Monday, August 29, 2016

Celebrating 7 Years of Blogging Today


What an adventure this has been.  I can't believe this blog is seven years old today.  I'll never forget how I felt the first time I wrote a love letter to my wife during our weekend retreat.  The experience nearly ended my passion for writing.  I sat in the parking lot puking my guts out on the second morning.  The only thing keeping me from leaving was a secret the retreat leader shared with me.  "There's a married couple praying for you during this weekend.  They lit a candle for you and your wife.  They're planning to meet you at the end of the retreat.  Do you think you can stick it out?"

My emotions were literally spilling out from within.  I felt weak.  My knees were shaking.  My wife was concerned.  I decided to stay.  Those love letters were difficult because they centered on feelings.  Feelings I kept buried inside.  The dam burst.  There was no turning back.  That weekend was life-changing.  We met the couple who prayed for us and they gave us the prayer candle as a reminder of our weekend.  My wife and I kept the letter-writing tradition going and penned another 2,500 letters each while raising three children.  This blog was my next step after the love letters.  It gives me a place to connect with family, friends and visitors.  I found the courage to write a memoir about my dad's last days with us before leaving this world after spending countless hours honing my skills here.  "The Caveman in the Mirror" is an extension of this blog.  And my next writing project will be published before this blog turns 8.  Yes, this has been an adventure.  Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to share my life with you.  Have a great day.

No comments: