Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Why Daily Writing is a Healthy Habit


It's nine days away.  My writer's summit.  The elevation is 1,825 days high.  Although the air is thin, the view is out of this world.  In order to reach this peak there were some things I needed to shed during my five year ascent.  Like all the voices in my head telling me my efforts were meaningless.  Remember Yoda from Star Wars?  His quiet whispers overshadow the dark side of my mind with simple instructions...


That's why daily writing is a healthy habit.  It's not about trying.  It's about making a daily choice to do or do not.  And every do is a prelude to the next do.  It's one step.  Then another.  Then, one day you wake up and say to yourself, I'm a writer.  Gone are the voices in your head who shrugged their shoulders and departed in search of less timid souls who dare not commit themselves to healthy habits.  You silenced them with your steadfast pursuit of your dreams.  Your habits become your character.  And your dreams become your reality.  There is no acting.  There is no try.  There is only excellence and it comes from healthy habits.  Try not.  Do.  Start with one day of elevation.  And keep climbing.

No comments: