Sunday, August 24, 2014

How I Found Contentment


It sounds a little bit morbid, but my wife mentioned something to me while I was in my writing zone this morning about what will happen if she leaves this world before me.  She told me, "I'll do little things to make my presence known, like move objects to get your attention."  We laughed together about her ideas.  Then she said, "I know what your response will be... 'go to the light.'"

The truth is, both of us are already in the light.  We have our Heaven on earth.  We have everything we need to live an abundant life.  For me, being in the light is living in a state of gratitude.  I found contentment when I stopped chasing things that were outside of God's plans for my life.  I'm surrounded by a loving family and I live in a community of caring people who knock on my door to share vegetables from their garden.  Yesterday, an elderly woman walked up to me and started chatting.  She asked me, "Are you a singer?"  I told her about my famous cousins.  Then she prodded me for more about my life.  "What do you do?"  she asked.

"I write," I responded. 

"The Caveman in the Mirror.  The main character sees someone in the mirror goes on a search to find him."

"Is it Jesus?"  the woman asked.

"No.  It's one of the man's ancestors."

"I want to read your book.  The title is intriguing.  When will it be out?"

"There is still a lot of polishing needed and more chapters to write.  It will be within the year."

Then the woman told me something that gave me goose bumps.  "I was born on St. Patrick's Day," she said, flashing her Irish smile.  I wondered, was she reading my mind?  My first memoir was published on St. Patrick's Day but I didn't tell her that.  And my goal is to release my novel on March 17, 2015.

The woman shook my hand and walked away.  She made my day.  That's what contentment is – being thankful for moments like my chance meeting with Patricia or quiet conversations with my wife.  Both of them know how to move my spirit.  And if my wife leaves this place ahead of me, I'll remind her she doesn't need to move objects to get my attention.  She already moved something I once considered immovable – my heart.  I couldn't be any happier than I am today.  I found contentment.  I'm thankful for all the people, past and present, who will always be a part of me.

No comments: