Saturday, August 9, 2014

Half Way to a Writer's Dream


Half way is not a final destination.  It's that place in the middle where many people get lost, especially creative types, like writers, who are blazing their own trails.  Any morsel of inspiration at this point can make a big difference for the marathoners who feel their legs burning.  At the beginning of my blog writing journey nearly five years ago, I wondered, will anyone outside my family and friends ever read my daily stories?  I set a goal.  At the time it felt more like some kind of a fantasy than a realistic target.  One million readers.  Traffic on my site during the first four years looked like a heart beat on a monitor that flat-lined.  It didn't look like it on the outside, but inside was a heart pounding with a burning desire to share my life with others.  I wanted to make a difference, especially for the wanderers.

It happened last night.  Half a million page views.  I'm glad I listened to the voice inside my head that said, "keep going."  I'm like that kid you hear every night upstairs playing the tuba.  He struggles to put the notes together.  The sounds emanating from the walls have no words to describe what you hear but you marvel at his willingness to keep practicing.  Five years later, that kid shows signs he can put a few chords together.  He tells you, "most people reading my stories are from far, far away."  You keep your mouth shut.  On the inside, you're thinking, yeah, those far away readers never had to listen to you play your tuba at all hours of the day and night before you figured out your instrument.  If you're one of the neighbors, thanks for never giving up on me.  I know I have a long way to go to reach a million page views but I'm happy to be half way to my writer's dream.  My wife suggested I listen to a song from Bon Jovi.  I promise, there's no tuba in the music.  Here you go...


2 comments:

Leland said...

Congrats on reaching this milestone Mike! My quess is that the 1-million mark will come very soon. Best to you and the family! Leland

Michael Mulligan said...

Thanks, Leland. You have and always will be a great encourager. Blessings to you and your amazing family.