Sunday, July 14, 2013

Why I Believe in the Power of Prayer


It started with my Grandmother on my mother's side.  She told me when I was a young boy that she prayed for me and my siblings every day.  She never complained.  Not once.  Not even the time she went through cancer treatments and the doctors removed 2/3 of her stomach and part of her esophagus.  My grandmother's focus was always on others.  She racked up thousands of hours volunteering in her retirement years.  She gave enough blood to fill a blood bank and no one knew until we found the records of her donations after her passing.  The best gift my grandma ever gave me was the year we celebrated our first Christmas as parents.  The pocket-sized book, My Daily Bread, is a summary of the spiritual life.   My wife "adopted" this little jewel and reads from it every morning.

I'm blessed to be part of three generations of prayer warriors.  I do believe my grandmother's prayers played a major role in my spiritual life.  This gift was passed from my grandmother to all her children.  My mother, like her mother, is one of the most special people on this planet.  Mom believes in the power of prayer.  She believes God wins, even when so many turn away from the One God sent to die for our sins.

Perhaps my grandmother and my mother played a role when God dealt my cards.  My wife is the Ace of Hearts.  When I look into her eyes, I see that same gleam I saw in my grandmother's eyes every time I visited her.  I see it in my mother's eyes when she talks about Jesus.  And tomorrow morning when I wake up, my wife will be beside me.  She will begin her day like every day, reading from her collection of books, including My Daily Bread. When I look into her eyes and say, "Happy 24th anniversary,"  I will be thanking God for sending me a triumvirate of woman from three generations who believe in the power of prayer.  There were many times in my life when I behaved like a joker, however, when my card is with the three aces, my wife, my mother and my grandmother, there is no doubt in my mind what God sees.  With a hand like that, there is no reason for me to doubt the power of prayer.  Happy 24th anniversary to my Ace of Hearts!

How about you?  Do you believe in the power of prayer?  Who are your role models?  Please add to the conversation by clicking the comment button below.

No comments: