Friday, September 2, 2011

A Goodbye Note to My Daughter

Parenting is like riding a giant roller coaster.  I'm talking about the ones that flip upside down and make your head spin.  Today is the day my daughter exits the ride and departs for new adventures at college.  When she entered my life eighteen years ago, I knew this day would come.  There is a part of me that doesn't want this ride to end.  Today's blog message is dedicated to all the parents who are sending their children off to school...

To my precious Nicole,

When your mother's doctor told her I was crazy to hold on to the idea you would be born on St. Patrick's Day, I partially agreed with him.  Yes, I'm a little bit crazy.  I've always believed miracles can happen if you trust God.

The first time we toured Azusa Pacific University, I got goosebumps as I envisioned you starting your new life at this amazing school.  The banner in the gym in large print summed up everything your mom and I taught you these last eighteen years....God First.

I pray you continue to make wise choices during your time away at college.  May you be surrounded by friends who accept you for who you are.  This will be our final weekend together before we say goodbye to you.

When your mom and I became your parents, we knew we would only have temporary custodial duties.  Now, it's time for us to let go and let God be your permanent guide.  He has big plans for you.  Don't forget to call us weekly.  You represent the next generation and you will be a leader in a world seeking light.   Carry your light with you wherever you go and remember to share it with others.

We are so proud of you and we love you.

God bless you.  Love,

Mom and dad

1 comment:

Kathy Kubiak said...

It is exciting to hear of another Ramona student heading for Azusa Pacific Univerity. My son is a sophomore there (Kurtis Kubiak), and another fine young man from Ramona (Jon Villagrana) is starting there this fall also. It is an amazing school, and his first year was wonderful beyond imagination. Would love to get to know you, and who knows, maybe we can arrange some carpools on occasion!

Kathy Kubiak