Monday, September 26, 2011

A Candle in the Wind

How do you keep your candle burning when the storms come?  The winds gust, then the rains follow, making it difficult to keep the candle lit.  It's during life's disturbances that you are in the most danger of losing your light.

I write today's message from the eye of my hurricane.  The spiral bands first struck me years ago, dumping fierce rain upon me, nearly extinguishing my candle.  When the eye wall of the hurricane approached, I relied on supernatural powers to keep the candle burning.  I'm not deceived by the calmness in the air today because I know this window of time will pass quickly and soon the high winds will return.

The Evil One taunts me incessantly.  Many lighthouses are abandoned; sometimes I wonder if my own flicker of light can make a difference in a world being pounded so viciously.  Light is most needed in the world's darkest hours.

Take a look at your candle today.  Don't be ashamed if you lost your light in the storm.  Learn to trust the eternal light furnished by the Holy Spirit.  All you have to do is ask Jesus to re-ignite your candle.  Return to your lighthouse while it's safe to move about in the eye of the storm; share your candle with the lost and the fallen.

Be the candle in the wind that will burn forever.  The world needs your light now more than ever.

No comments: