Tuesday, September 24, 2024

The Science Behind Happiness

We visited our favorite thrift store last week during our date day and I found two books.  The purpose of reading these books is to experiment with my rate of reading and comprehension.  Every morning I'm reading one chapter of "The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People."  If I remain on target, that book will be completed before the end of the year.  If the experiment is successful, I will finish early and start the second book.  I'm excited about the material in the book because it's backed by science.  The studies are quoted in each chapter.  I have a hunch that if my comprehension increases while I'm reading about happy people, maybe my own happiness will increase.  Check back in 100 days and you can test me on this theory.

I'm discovering in my own life that happiness increases when I do certain daily routines backed by science.  The cold shower in the morning bumps up long-lasting supplies of endorphins.  The lunch-time outside sitting in my Tommy Bahamas chair barefoot while staring at the pond gives me a science-back boost of enough endorphins to get me through my busy day shift.  

If you are not happy, try doing science backed things that add brain chemicals guaranteed to increase your happiness.  Read about happy people.  Spend time with happy people.  Set goals that give you opportunities to visit places that will surely bring you happiness.  Have a great day. 

No comments: