Friday, September 27, 2024

Habit Stacking Makes New Habits Stick

I'm trying something new, pursuing multiple new goals simultaneously.  The pros suggest one goal at a time to nurture it until it becomes a habit before moving on.  I see the merit in this as I seem to do better with intense focus on one idea at a time.  There is a workaround that may make multiple new habits become a permanent way of life called habit stacking.

We are creatures of habit.  Good habits allow us to become a better version of ourselves while bad habits lead to stress, anxiety, and poor self esteem.  I'm experimenting with adding multiple new goals to existing habits in order to make all of them stick. 

Last week I started a gratitude journal.  It's part of my early morning stack of habits.  I also started reading every morning.  After finishing my morning routine and right before leaving for my day job.  My quest to find at least one new fifteen minute window of time each day is succeeding which is creating a block of time for reading.  That equals three new habits that are in the daily mix.  All three of these habits are bringing me joy, especially since the book I'm reading now is about happiness and how people incorporate it in their lives.  I don't want to leave out the new mantra I'm repeating daily which I plan to make permanent as the results are immediate.  This is a must do activity.  It goes like this..."I'm getting better at ________ (simply fill in the blank with whatever you want to get better at.

For those of you who think you don't have time to work on multiple goals at the same time, habit stacking is a hack that may change your belief system.  Try it when you are on auto pilot, like when you brush your teeth.  Every time you brush your teeth you work on another goal, like leg raises or stretching.  Brushing your teeth reminds you of the new habit you are forming.

Challenge yourself to use habit stacking for increased success with multiple goals and see what happens over the next 90 days.  Have a great day.

No comments: