Monday, September 23, 2024

Are You Curious About Becoming a Super Ager?

 If you're having trouble reaching your goals, there may be a reason based on science.  The good news is that the latest research indicates we can actually get better at goal attainment simply by growing a specific  area of our brain known as the anterior mid cingular cortex (Amcc).  I never heard of this until yesterday when I listened to a podcast with my favorite neuroscientist, Dr. Andrew Huberman, and his buddy, David Goggins.  According to Huberman, he was on the edge of his seat when he discovered this research recently.  He learned this area of the brain can actually grow when you participate in activities that you actually despise.  The key is that you must hate what you are doing and do it anyway.  

If you love to exercise and push yourself hard, you will be in great shape but your Amcc won't grow because you have a passion for exercise.  If you hate to exercise and force yourself, Boom – your Amcc grows.  Hate avoiding sugary foods and avoid them anyway? Boom – enlarged Amcc.  Hate pursuing certain chores like doing dishes but do the dishes anyway? Boom – enlarge Amcc.  

Super agers found a way to keep their Amcc from shrinking.  You can do the same.  All you have to do is force yourself to do daily activities you hate.  For me, it's that one or two minute cold shower before the hot water reaches me.  I jump in because I want the big reward – up to six hours of endorphins.  If I begin to enjoy the ice plunge, the Amcc no longer grows because I'm now doing something I like.  

I'm all about building tenacity.  It starts in the brain.  I have a new attitude about doing activities I hate.  If you're curious about becoming a super ager, this may be a great first step.  You decide.  Have a great day.

No comments: