Sunday, December 30, 2018

It's All About Serenity


I played my last tennis match of the year yesterday and it pretty much mirrored how I spent the last twelve months of my life.  My doubles partner and I were facing two of the toughest fighters on our team and they took command early by clobbering us 6-0 in the first set.  It was reminiscent of my two months home recovering from a serious auto accident on February 5.  We didn't let our slow start hurt us and we set up a plan to counter our opponents nearly flawless play.  Chip and charge became our mantra and we came back to take the next two sets 6-4, 6-3.  Although the match was only a practice match, it gave me the confidence I need going into our final men's 40+ league match on Saturday.  A win will give us first place for the season, the opportunity to play for a state title, and move on to the regional playoffs in the summer.

There are some pretty good lessons to be learned during times of trial.  I thought about all the people on my prayer list when I looked in the bathroom mirror during a break after the second set.  Some are facing much larger battles with cancer as their opponent.  Another teammate succumbed to stage IV pancreatic cancer this year and is no longer with us.  That's why I wear a pink bandana on the courts.  It's to remind me to keep fighting and keep praying in all circumstances.  Serenity.  It's a secret weapon that can keep you going when your bones are broken and your neck is in a brace.  It's the prayer you have when everything else appears out of your control.

A new year is about to begin.  For me, it's the beginning of a three year quest to finally take down the debt monster who has been nagging me for most of my adult life.  The strategy is a variation of the "chip and charge" we used to turn things around yesterday on the tennis courts.  I'm going with "chip, charge and pay right away" which means we're chipping away at any unnecessary expenses we really can live without while paying our credit card immediately after any purchases clear pending.  We're dedicating a preset amount out of every paycheck to contribute to additional principal payments over the next thirty-six months.  There will be times when obstacles appear.  That's part of the process.  I know one thing for sure – I'm keeping Serenity as my doubles partner during this match and we're going to  chip, charge and pay right away until this match is over.  This is not a resolution.  This is a way of life.  Make Serenity your partner and take her with you everywhere you go.  Have a great day.

No comments: