Saturday, August 25, 2018

Saying Good-bye to a Teammate Today

 Dr. Frederick Dietz
I'm home for the weekend.  This is my base camp.  When the air gets thin on my travels, it's refreshing to return to my family and catch my breath.  I'm thankful for the opportunity to say good-bye to my teammate from our men's 55+ team today.  Funerals are never easy but I believe family members need to know we care.  Dr. Fred Dietz is one of those special people who made a difference in this world.  He chose to keep his illness private and I respect that.  Fred preferred to live life to it's fullest all the way to the very end.  Pancreatic cancer didn't beat him on the courts. He simply let go after completing his final set.  I didn't even know he was sick.  That's classic Fred.  Old school.  He asked that everyone have a Manhattan in his memory.  I'll save mine for the end of our season.  Win or lose, this year is dedicated to Dr. Fred Dietz.  Tough shoes to fill.  Good-bye, my friend.  Enjoy the air where you are and save a court for me.  I'll join you when my work here is done.  May God bless your friends, teammates and family.

No comments: