Sunday, August 26, 2018

Level 10 Gratitude


It's really easy to forget or take for granted all the blessings we have in our lives.  I was reminded of that yesterday when I attended a funeral for my beloved teammate, Dr. Fred Dietz.  Fred's oldest son spoke of the feeling he had of being robbed when he lost his dad at the age of 67.  Fred had that same feeling when his own brother and dad were taken from this world too soon.  How was Fred's grandson going to carry on without Grandpa?  Fred's oldest son felt lost as a parent of a young son.  Then it hit him.  All those years spent with his dad were times of preparation.  Fred taught his family how to love.  The stories will continue.  Fred's children will carry on the family traditions with their children.

A quartet of trombones played "When the Saints Go Marching In" at the end of the service in a farewell salute to Fred, an avid trombone enthusiast.  Fred's wife, Meg, exited first, followed by their adult children.  The family formed a reception line for the guests who comforted the family.  "We're serving Manhattans at the bar," Meg said after I shared with her and her sons about how Fred's team is dedicating all our matches to him and plan to all drink Manhattans in his honor when we're finished with the season.

"I'm going to wait until our season is over before I drink my first Manhattan," I replied with my teammates standing behind me.  We know how tough it will be to fill his shoes.  Fred taught all of us how to live life to it's fullest and he continued to play tennis until the very end.  We will play on without him but his spirit will always be with us.  Friends like Fred are why I'm at a level 10 gratitude.  Have a great day and don't forget to count your blessings.

No comments: