Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Minor Changes Yield April Bogey in Par for the Course Game

This month marks my 16th-month playing "Par for the Course," a virtual debt reduction game I came up with to help me have fun while pursuing financial independence.  The first seven months weren't so good.  In fact, I had seven bogeys out of seven months meaning I consistently came up short.  That didn't bother me because even though I was failing miserably, I was still paying off my debt, albeit at a slower rate than what I wanted.  The way the game works, I earn an eagle every time I exceed my monthly target of debt reduction, a par if I meet my goals, and a bogey if my debt reduction goal comes up short for the month.  The idea is to have zero balances on everything including my mortgage at the end of thirty-six months.

Like anything in life, you don't get better unless you learn from your mistakes.  Adapting to changing conditions is also helpful.  For example, the COVID-19 virus crept into the game creating a new hazard.  There were some unexpected medical bills from my auto accident that showed up on the first hole even though I thought everything was paid in full.  I didn't complain,  I simply kept swinging away.  Some might say I was flailing.  I was out of sync as much as Happy Gilmore but I stayed focused on getting better.  What I'm discovering is that the little things matter.  It's the everyday choices that add up.  I'm gaining confidence.  I may earn my first eagle soon.  The only thing certain in this game is that I won't give up no matter how many obstacles come my way.  I'm thankful to have my wife as my partner on the virtual course.  She gave me a free haircut yesterday after our picnic at Lake Iowa and I'm giving her an eagle for her performance.  Thanks to her act of kindness, I no longer look like a crazed caveman.  Stay tuned for updates on the Par for the Course Game.  Have a great day.

No comments: